Big Five Project

 The main aim for this project is to create a small advertising booklet for a travel agency about one of the Big Five of a continent. 


What is the Big Five?

The Big Five are the five main animals of an area, the ones that are the most interesting and bring in the most tourists. The exact set of animals differ slightly depending on the source, but are consistent in general. Usually, these animals are unique to the continent or at least, are more common there.

The Continents to choose from are:
-Africa
-North America
-South America
-Asia
-Australia / Oceania
-Europe

I'm going to go with South America, as these big five aren't as well known as most other ones, and I want to bring them to light. South America also has a lot of unique animals.

Finding the Big Five
Now that I've decided the continent I will be working on, I need to research and find out what this big five actually is. 
To do this I've looked up the Big Five of South America and then compared a couple different sources to both see which animals cross over from each site and any other iconic animal I can think of from South America that just isn't listed there.


These are the big five I found from the three main sources I could find that actually only list five animals that are all from South America.
I highlighted any animal that appeared on multiple lists, the yellow shows which appears in all three. 
From here I needed to chose my big five.
First I took the ones that appeared in at least 2 of the sources, which leaves me with four animals; Jaguar, Anaconda, Spectacle Bear, and Black Caiman. However, they asked for five animals so I then chose one and I think I shall go with the Poison Dart frog, simply because it is quite different compared to the other animals and they're incredibly interesting animals.




Sources:

Diniz, S. (2021) What are the Big 5 animals in South America? [Online]. Available at https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-Big-5-animals-in-South-America (Accessed 22 February 2022).

Hershberger, M. (2014) Which of the ‘Big 5’ animals from each continent have you seen? [Online]. Available at https://matadornetwork.com/change/big-5-animals-continent-seen/ (Accessed 22 February 2022).

Ashdown, T. (2020) 20 Incredible South American Animals to Spot on Your Next Trip! [Online]. Available at https://southamericabackpacker.com/south-american-animals/ (Accessed 22 February 2022).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scamp Vs Final Design

Feedback

Final Designs