Souvenir: Part 2

 Following the feedback I got, I wanted to redesign the souvenir to make it feel more coherent. The main difference I made, alongside changing the art for the back side, was to change the orientation of the back. I wanted to make the QR code and Gonzo on the back more coherent, so using a photo of him, I created a pose of Gonzo sort of holding a box, where the QR code can go. This however, then required being in a portrait orientation; I don't think the different orientations will be a problem as they won't be displayed together and it's not that large so rotating it won't be too difficult.
To colour this second piece, I am going to do it in the same style and using the same colours as the front, this colour palette I will then drag through to the other items to make them all cohesive together.

On the sketch I worked out roughly where the QR code will go as well as made any notes for what I will want to edit as I create the final colours and render of the design.
So the attendants know where to place the QR code, I'm going to add a small white box, with a low transparency over the area. This will show them where the sticker should be centred but shouldn't attract too much from the souvenir if it's placed wonky or they don't chose to have a photo, thus not needing a QR code; especially compared to just not including any image under there. 

For the empty space around Gonzo I will use the same oranges as the front side, and I shall experiment with exactly how I want the pattern to look, as well as if I want Gonzo to stand out any further. I could do something like a large outline or slight glow behind him to help him stand out and pop off of this. 



So here's how the final design came out for the backside, I created it in a slightly different style to the one on the front, instead of a more painted style, I went with a more simplistic piece with linework. This is to tie it back into the more childish side, where they use a lot of thick black lines, but it is also to help elevate the front side and really make it as something that will want to be displayed. 
For the background and colours I used the eye-dropper tool to directly colour pick these off of the front side, to keep the design more cohesive, like the feedback that I received about the work. It was created again, in the final size that I will need, and I used a low opacity layer to create the box where the QR code will be overlapped with, again I made this smaller then what the final QR code will be, so that it isn't visible if it ends up being place on wonky in a rush. The reason for creating it as a low opacity box with the design visible below, is again so that if for some reason someone doesn't get a QR code it doesn't look odd with just an empty box with no design on it.

One thing I now need to make sure, is how to rotate and combine the two sides, considering that they are both different orientations, which isn't uncommon, but is something that I need to put a lot of consideration into. Whether I line it up so the backgrounds match as they're the same design just rotated, or if I flip it in anyway. I need to take in a lot of consideration of how people will actually rotate and look at the design, as if it's counter-intuitive it will confuse people. The way I believe that I shall do it is to line up the backgrounds, this will also leave the QR code in the same sort of area as it was in the original design. Which seems to be the most cohesive with the design and layout for the user. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scamp Vs Final Design

Feedback

Final Designs