Creating a Scamp: Part Two

 From there with the scamp I went into creating the text boxes and starting on the format for how these should look using the lorem ipsum place holder text. 
This was slightly difficult as the paragraphs there will be no doubt different to how the final, actual information will be. However, it does aid in the visual sense for how it will look as well as give the general base to continue to work off of.

The main change alongside adding in the text and starting to format it, was adding in the image boxes and working out the rough colour scheme with which I want to work with. I went with a red & gold colour scheme as they are very prominent colours in Asian designs, alongside blue and silver.
However, I decided that red and gold would pop more off of the mostly green photos helping them all to stand out, rather then blend in slightly which would happen with the blue. With the red being the main colour for the accents, it being a complimentary colour with green makes it in general very eye pleasing to look at.

Now having gotten this far with the scamp, I did some further research for what other booklets looked like along this same kind of aesthetic, allowing me to see how I may want to take on this design further but also if I need to pull back any of the design.


Scamp V2
Now with this base scamp I went on to make a second one. 
Not too much changes between these two designs, I do however, start importing some of my final assets and how I think they should look and be used. This being most evident in the cover.

The background for this is a pattern I accessed for free from rawpixel, it's specifically labelled as a Chinese pattern, it it is very similar to ones I saw in Borneo.

For the cover I also wanted to include a simple depiction of Borneo, which I created in Illustrator, and will go over more in my specific assets post.



At this point I submitted the base scamp for feedback, asking my peers, who generally fit my target market, for their opinions on the design.
In general it was well liked, however it was suggested to make a couple of changes. Such as including the background image for the cover, like that on the back page, and overlaying a white box to highlight the information needed there. As well as making the pattern full-sized for the cover, as they really liked it and thought it would stand out more on a shelf for the print version. I agreed with this and applied these changes, however, I decided to keep Borneo with the slight left alignment as I thought it brought more interest.
It was also suggested to remove the title for the full page ad page, and I agree with this idea, it is not changed for the second scamp however, due to the fact that first I shall work out how I actually want the print advert to look and work.


This is how the altered design looks, and I defiantly prefer it, it really helps add to the design. When printed by the client, I also believe it would look very pleasing to have the main background in a matte texture, and then Borneo and the heading title in a slightly shiny finish.


The only thing that I would change if redoing this project is drawing the pattern myself to make it a little simpler, I know the heavy detail is part of the cultural design, but it is rather overwhelming to look at, which is why my original design had it at a reduced scale only covering part of the cover. 
It still however, does work as this pattern only appears on the front and back page and is only covering the full page at the front. 



Image Source:

rawpixel (2022) Chinese gold traditional pattern psd | Premium PSD - rawpixel [Online]. Available at https://www.rawpixel.com/image/2742214/premium-illustration-psd-chinese-new-year-patterns (Accessed 14 March 2022).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scamp Vs Final Design

Feedback

Final Designs