Created Assets

 With the design and aesthetic which I am going for with this target audience and style of the booklet, I did not want to just include photos as the assets I use. In most cases I also wish to create as many assets myself rather then taking them from an outside source.
The other reason which I wanted to do this was because many sites and stipulations over what images can be used for, and whether an extra fee then has to be paid for to use the image commercially. Creating as many images myself, means that the company has to worry about less licences that they main not own.


Background Image:
This is the only image that was sourced from someone other then myself to be used. This was because I wanted an Asian pattern that had been accurately drawn, and I did not see the point in recreating an asset that already existed in the colours which I required. To ensure that it was sourced responsibly, I used rawpixel. The client would need to look into purchasing a licence for commercial use, however as a single entity and a student I could download and use it for free. 
If the client did not wish to purchase this license, it is easily removable and could be swapped with an image that they do have the right to use.


Borneo:

For the cover of the booklet I wanted it to clearly be Borneo, so first looked at simple maps of the Island. The main issue I found were they were all covered in text as well as including Brunei, which yes, is attached and part of the island, but not part of this specific holiday.
So taking this free use map, I imported it into Illustrator.

Once inside Illustrator I used the pen tool to hand trace around the Island, removing Brunei and simplifying it slightly in some areas, to keep the shape but remove some of the smaller juts in and out which just made it look complicated. I also did not trace any of the smaller Islands, wanting to just capture the general shape.
Once I had done this, I traced along the Malaysia Indonesia border, so that I could then show which part of the Island was owed by which government as the Island is split in two. The reason I chose to do this in Illustrator, rather then the art program I used in the My Hero project, and I will use for one of my other assets, is that it allows me to create it as a vector

Creating it as a vector allows me to make it at any scale and further use it at any scale, which was helpful for an asset like this as I did not know the exact scale I wanted to go with, nor did I know exactly how if I would use it anywhere else at the time of creation, so it was just all around helpful.

I coloured each part in different colours, to further show the difference in ownership, and used a similar gold to the colours used in the rest of the booklet. The red is far paler to both match the other part, but also to stand out from the background it is going to sit on in the end.




'Painting':
For the Introduction Page, I thought it would look good to include a digital painting of sorts of the Big Five all together. This wouldn't have the animals in scale, but would show them off clearly to the viewer before they then went on to look at their specific pages and the photographs.
To create the sketch, I imported a free use photo of each animal into a canvas at the right pixel size, before then resizing and arranging them so that they all fit together into an interesting layout.
To ensure that I didn't overcomplicate it, I chose to sketch without any pen-pressure, thus adding any differentiation in my line weight. To the top I added in a rotated version of the Borneo vector along side the words 'Big 5' to easily state what they were as well as to fill in some of the empty space.
The red lines are placeholders to remind me that the area there seems pretty plain, and that something should be added in there as to not make it seem empty or accidently mixed.
To show the process of lining and finishing this piece I made a speed recording of the canvas, showing the image as I went. I relied on clipping masks to mask off areas and ensure that I didn't mix up any of the coloured segments and used multiple multiply layers to create the shading, which also added in a slight texture to the image.
The main colours are flatter then the real animals simply because I wanted this image to be simpler while still capturing the main aspects and displaying each animal.


The background became a solid green, which I then added interest to using a textured brush and some slightly darker shades to help add depth, the big spaces were filled in using the programs leaf brush to fill in the areas without detracting from the animals themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scamp Vs Final Design

Feedback

Final Designs