Souvenir

 The souvenir was a little difficult to design, considering the fact that it is such a small size and in most cases you just end up creating a business card, it was rather hard to work out what you should design, that isn't just a business card.
It also wants to be something that the people in attendance would want to keep, and not just throw into the closest bin to them.

I need to design both sides, I also want to add some bleed on to the card, to ensure that when it's printed and cut that it prints correctly and none of the information is falling off the edge. The exact level of bleed to be added differs exactly between printers, but I shall go with a 3mm bleed and ensure that all of my text or other important information is securely inside this area. 



When booting up InDesign not only can I set it so that the file itself is in the size I need, 88x55mm, the size of an average business card, I can also set up the bleed in this boot up menu. This gives me the area just off of the main shape, to show me where to include my bleed.

With the file open, I then changed where the margins are and set them also to 3mm all the way around. This will inset me by 3mm and ensure that I don't put any text too close to the edge of the card as is. This is why InDesign is so useful for designing in this method, there are also other things I can pull in or edit if I need the help for it. 




Now that I have my file formatted and set up correctly I can add my assets and add my text, creating anything else that I may also need as well.
Once I have come up with a design that works, I will then save two versions, one the full mock-up including the mock-up QR code that I created. The other will be how the card is actually printed, not including this QR code and instead an area direct the staff on where to include the QR code once they have a real one. This area will be relatively simple, simply because it will be covered if someone does get a photo with the Hero, and if they don't get that far, it's on the back so they won't necessarily be seeing it much.

I did find one hiccup when importing the vectors into InDesign, the way that they become formatted in such a small size, the pixels became unaligned so the colour wasn't inside the lines where it should be. So instead, I made a photoshop file the correct size, imported the vector into that and saved it as a PNG before then importing it back into InDesign. This means it's no longer a vector but I shouldn't need to change the size in any drastic way in this file, and if I do, I still have the base Vector.

Left is the sized PNG, Right is the original vector.
I also then had to do the same thing for the signature vector.




This is how the design looks at the moment, with the vectors once I have imported them and the QR code. I overlapped the QR code with Gonzo's arm, as I liked how it looks, it also adds some interest to the card if the QR code isn't there, and also works if the QR code isn't put on exactly straight by the person.
The signature will overlap with the tiny digital painting, which will take up the whole of the front of the card so that doesn't need a background to it, as the painting will have one on it and that will take up the whole of the side.



This is how the front side now looks with the painting added and I really like how it came out. Now, I am not as sure whether both sides of the business card actually works together, however, I am getting some feedback so I will wait to edit until then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scamp Vs Final Design

Feedback

Final Designs