Colours

 It's important to think heavily about the colour scheme I am going to use for the My Hero project as it will need to be cohesive through out all of the assets that I create. It also needs to be representative of the Hero themselves.

To do this I need to think about what Key colours people think of when they think of Gonzo, as well as then what colours work well with them. Gonzo himself likes vibrant almost clashing designs so I also need to take this into account when designing and combining colours, there is a level you can do for clashing colours that still looks good, but it's very easy to take too far and make it look really ugly, which would detract people.


One of the most stand out colours when people think of Gonzo is the striking violet colour that makes up his main body, luckily this colour is already a known colour that people have worked out.

(Violet, 2019)

So this violet will be a main colour used within the pieces, as it's connected to Gonzo. However, due to lighting and the material that he is made of,  he often looks more blue in shade. This does allow it to be another colour used alongside any images of them, without it blending too badly in with them. 

Two other main striking colours of Gonzo, is gonzo's eyelids and nose colour, although his nose colour does seem to alter more in different mediums and media as does his main fur colour. These being a yellow and terracotta with lilac highlights or just a light blue at times.

One of the easiest ways for me to start getting a colour scheme to use, that includes all of the most recognisable colours of Gonzo's is to use color.adobe, an online software that allows you to upload an image and you can that automatically have a colour scheme chosen, or chose your own swatches from that image.

For my main image used to work out a colour palette, I have used one that I have downloaded from their official character wikipedia page (Fandom, 2015). I then imported this into color.adobe to work out what colours I wanted to pick from the image and how these worked together.

(Adobe, 2022)

I'm going with the Colourful color mood, so Adobe's AI will automatically choose brighter colours that work more cohesively together, however I am having to alter it as even trying the other modes, it wants to select from the background and skips some of the main colours from Gonzo.
Adobe does however, allow me to move where the selection points are, so I am going to do this to test out the main colours of Gonzo and how they're selected. I know in general the whole colour scheme will be cohesive as it works on the character themselves.
(Adobe, 2022)
This is the main colour palette I pulled from Gonzo, focusing on the main points of colour that they have on their body, more shades that appear in their fur as well as their nose.
This was rather hard to pick from as it's light blue in most drawn media as well as the baby version of them, it's also clear that on this adult puppet, the main nose colour is a terracotta, with a thin layer of a light blue over the top of it, creating a slight colour shifting affect when shown.

Surprisingly, this colour palette is rather cohesive and gives me plenty of other colours I can add and work with. Knowing how easy it is to use this site to select colours it allows me to add any extra source images, that I can then combine into this colour scheme.
The Adobe suite also has a lot of integration, so as I am logged into my adobe account I can save these colour palettes straight into an Adobe library so it can then be used in any of the Adobe software. The hex codes also allows me to add it into any other software I may use, which is incredibly helpful.


Sources:

Violet (2019) Gonzo Violet ( similar ) Color | 5f0ae7 information | Hsl | Rgb | Pantone [Online]. Available at https://icolorpalette.com/color/5f0ae7 (Accessed 25 January 2022).

Fandom (2015) Gonzo [Online]. Available at https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Gonzo (Accessed 25 January 2022).

Adobe (2022) Image [Online]. Available at https://color.adobe.com/create/image (Accessed 25 January 2022).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scamp Vs Final Design

Feedback

Final Designs